Saturday, March 28, 2009

Rough Road Ahead

Sorry I haven’t posted lately but I lost four days after my first round of Chemo and have been playing catch-up ever since. What I mean by ‘lost four days’ is that a week ago I slept from Wednesday afternoon until Saturday night. Basically, I sedated myself to avoid the nausea that I was experiencing. Sad to say but by Saturday morning I told Greg that I wouldn't be able to do this for five months and just sobbed. This was the first time since my diagnoses that I realized how hard the treatment was going to be. For some reason I thought the Chemo would be the easier part and that the surgeries would be the tough part. Since I did so well with my first surgery I thought I had it made. The good news is that when I went this past Wednesday to get my blood work checked (which was all excellent) Melissa, my nurse, told me that I only have three more rounds of the bad stuff. Then when I start my weekly treatment it will be a different medicine that won’t make me nauseated. Melissa then lectured me on ‘that now is not the time to diet and try to loose weight’. I was down 7 pounds in a week due to the fact that I couldn't eat four out of the seven days. I just laughed at her and said that Chemo is the best diet plan I have ever been on and that if anything good was to come out of this I would be smaller in the end. So this Wednesday I will be going for round two and with that behind me I will be half way through the worst of the Chemo. I can manage that.

More good news, I still have hair!!!! I was told that most people loose their hair by day ten after their first round of Chemo and today marks my tenth day. I know it won’t last but I still feel better today for the hair on my head. A few weeks ago I went out and bought a wig. Originally I thought it would be a huge production where I would be prancing all my girl friends from one wig store to the next surveying my best option. But it turns out that one day I am at a specialty store buying other items needed after my surgery and they happen to also sell wigs. Because of the other items I was buying they had to call my insurance company to find out what items would be covered under our plan. Turns out they covered all the items I needed including a wig. So I asked the lady helping me if I could try a few wigs on just to see how they looked. It only took three tries and I was sold on the third wig. It was very close to the color and cut I was sporting last year. I know my prep time in the morning will be much shorter once my hair is gone because all I will have to do is slip on my wig after my shower and go. And if I tire of the wig I also have many other options thanks to Aunt Judy who has supplied me with a years worth of temporary tattoos I can put on my head. So don’t be surprise to see me this summer wearing a bunch of dolphins swimming around my head.

One last note is a BIG thank you to all my girl friends that jumped in to help me out this next month. I put out an email Monday night with a schedule attached with all the times I need help picking up, dropping off and looking after Annierae and Ja for the month of April. By 10:30 the next day the schedule was filled and I had many notes from all of you sad that you didn't have a chance to fill a slot. There will be plenty of opportunities to help out so don’t worry. I am overwhelmed by all of you and the kindness you have shown me and my family. God bless you all.

Love, Kristine

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there kid. You are an inspiration to all of us with your strength and grace. And don't worry about the hair. Bald is beautiful... At least that is what I tell myself in the mirror each morning. :)

    Love,
    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about the nausea. Ugh. I know we are on different meds so it will be difficult to compare notes. Although the first few steps seem impossible, make sure to stay in touch with other women who can coach you through what to expect. Stay strong and embrace the journey. Along the way, unknown strengths and friendships will emerge...guaranteed. I'll keep watching your entries.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note, I'd love to hear from you!